These days time is a thing that is oh so precious! We are always running here and there, which leaves us very little time some weeks to make a lot of homemade meals for your families let alone your pups! I know convenience is a beautiful thing sometimes and just a simple biscuit treat will do for the fur-babies, which they are still soo excited about! This simple recipe is perfect for someone on a time sensitive schedule or for just someone looking for a quickie made treat! The time saver is one of the main pluses to this recipe but the 3 ingredients hold major importance to your dogs diet which will aid in a very healthy life and body.
Coconut oil is good for dogs because it aids in their digestion, helps prevent infections and it also helps improve their coats! Majorly important to follow proper instruction on amount in relation to your dogs weight! Remember, too much of a good thing… can result in a bad thing!
Some helpful benefits of Coconut Oil:
- prevents infection and diseases
- helps with arthritis and ligament issues
- helps increase energy
- helps balances insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- has powerful antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal agents
- helps with weight loss
- helps clear up eczema
- can help with hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- minimizes odors
- minimizes allergic reactions
- helps make coats shiny and sleek
- helps with colitis and inflammatory bowel syndrome
- helps control bad breath
- when applied topically coconut oil promotes wound healing
- helps reduce and control coughing
**info and photo from SitStay
Next up – PUMPKIN:
Not only is Pumpkin used in our favorite fall themed foods but it is also VERY helpful and useful in your dogs diet! According too CesarsWay.com … ‘this festive gourd is a miracle food for dogs. Good for both diarrhea and constipation, canned pumpkin (not raw, not the sugary, spicy pie filling) is loaded with fiber and beta-carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A. Don’t give Buddy a lot of it—too much A is highly toxic to dogs—but a couple of teaspoons a day for little pups, or a couple of tablespoons for big boys, should keep them right on track.’ I love using just a small amount of pumpkin in different foods! Sedona isn’t a fan of pumpkin by itself but I really like the health benefits from it so when we mix it with other flavors we BOTH win!
Last but Not Least……. BLUEBERRIES
My husband and I LOVE berries so when we found out Sedona could have them we were thrilled!! Blueberries have such a good burst of sweet and sour flavors! It adds a little punch to whatever I make! According to akc.org… ‘The antioxidants in blueberries help fight free radicals, which are responsible for cellular and molecular damage in dogs and humans. Sources of antioxidants, like blueberries, help strengthen immune systems by fighting free radicals naturally. As an added bonus, studies show that adding antioxidants to a dog’s diet reduces the effects of brain aging, which is good news for those of us with older dogs.’ I figure if antioxidants are good for us then they have to be good for your pups! Blueberries are small so its easy to feed your animal more. Be sure to limit the amount of blueberries to what is appropriate for your dog size and weight.
What you will need:
- Ice-cube tray or small freezable tray of your choosing! (notice mine are a small shape)
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Canned Pumpkin
- In mixing bowl, combine Coconut Oil and Canned Pumpkin (amount will determine your dog size/weight and size of freezer tray) Make your best judgment on potions. use my photo as example.
- Heat mixer in microwave for 20 seconds (just want to soften down). you can also soften on stove-top if desired.
- Once soften, place mixture into freezer tray molds.
- Top eat mold off with a Blueberry (FRESH not frozen)
- Freeze till fully frozen then ready for your dog to eat!!
My husband and I try and feed Sedona the healthiest foods to make sure she is getting the proper nutrition she needs but also to let her experience the tasty wonderful things life has to offer! Every treat is made with love to ensure our sweet rescue pitbull the life she never thought she would have and to show her the love she and every rescue pup deserves!
Hope this treat is a hit at your house!!