Fall is here! Even in Arizona where it is still in the 90s during the day, we still get to partake in the cooler mornings and evenings! With the smells and tastes of pumpkin everything! The decor is setting the mood as well with all the fall colors and Halloween spirits! The Fall season brings many family recipes out and the yumminess begins! We are able to indulge and enjoy the tastes of the season but our furry little family members are another story! A lot of foods that humans eat are poisonous to dogs or could cause allergic reactions. I don’t know about you but in our house we love our fur-babies to enjoy what we enjoy! This recipe is a dog safe Fall treat that your fur-baby can enjoy that is super healthy and soooo yummy!
Hearty Pumpkin PUPsciles have a focus of pumpkin! Do you know all the perks of including pumpkin in your dogs diet?
- Pumpkin contains fiber, which helps slows digestion, and can help manage diarrhea
- Pumpkin in diet will control the habit of eating own/or strange poop
- Pumpkin can helps with constipation due to its high fiber
- High moisture content of pumpkin adds more water to your dog’s diet easily and naturally
- Pumpkin slows down digestion which can help your pup feel fuller longer
- Pumpkin has zinc, which will help improve skin and coat
- Pumpkin slows the aging process
This recipe is one of Sedona’s favorites. This treat is a frozen goodie, I would recommend this being an outdoor treat to save Mom & Dad the mess or staining! If not outside, I would recommend on a towel.
Start out with a container that is freezer safe! I chose a festive Halloween/Fall theme but a cupcake pan or ice cube tray will work also! This specific container I found at TJ Maxx for $5.99!
Here are the ingredients you will need to complete the frozen treat! (because of different size containers to freeze in, follow along with the instructions and use your best judgement on amounts! EASY RECIPE! no one can mess it up!)
- Lean Ground Turkey
- Brown Rice
- Canned Pumpkin
- Stick/rod shape Dog Treat of YOUR choice
- Start by thoroughly cooking the Ground Turkey and Brown Rice!
2. Depending on the size of your containers, fill the BOTTOM of the cup with the cooked ground turkey (use mine for example)
3. Take the cooked brown nice and sprinkle on top of the turkey.
4. Now take the canned pumpkin, put 1/2 can in a liquid shaker and fill up with Water. (protein shake shakers are my preferred method) Shake till pumpkin is thoroughly mixed with the water.
5. Pour the Pumpkin and Water into each cup and fill till about 1/4 from top.
6. Place your treat of choice into the cup. (make sure to push the treat to the bottom on cup to ensure it freezes properly)
7. Lastly….ITS TIME TO FREEZE!! Freeze for 24 hours before serving to your pup!
These Hearty Pumpkin PUPsicles are sure to be a hit with your pups!!
Tip: If you have a pup that isn’t a fan of going outside, well this is a life saver! Sedona has struggled at times to want to go outside! When I started giving her these treat outside she started to realize that going outside was a good thing and was a positive place to be! Now she doesn’t struggle with going outside, she runs to the door! She might not get one of these frozen goodies every time she goes outside, but she sure loves it when she does! Good positive reinforcement tool, especially if your pup came from an abusive background and they are learning to trust again!
Made with love! ENJOY